Friday, October 5, 2012

Blogging Social Difference in L.A.: Week 1


Having lived in Los Angeles all my life I have concluded that life in a metropolitan area can be interesting but also challenging. Many of the conflicts that arise in this diverse population are as a result of misunderstandings and miscommunications.  I believe that understanding our neighbors and their way of life will lead to a more harmonious community and a more united community. 

My fascination with other cultures and my interest in their customs and traditions drew me to the field of geography. I find that each of the many diverse ethnic groups that surround me bring to life the words that I read in my textbooks. 

Here in the greater Los Angeles area we have what is often referred to as a melting pot, however in many cases the different ethnic groups are not melting into one synchronous whole, but rather each group is carving out a certain section of the city as their own.  Each creates communities that are exclusive and independent of each other. There are entire populations that only speak a language that is not English.
Since in Los Angeles there are too many such ethnic areas to write about I will concentrate my blog on just five of them.

It will be interesting to see how these areas change for me once I explore them with a more critical eye trying to observe the social differences and similarities that take place within each.  

No comments:

Post a Comment